connect with us

facebook twitter


twitter stream

These are some commonly asked questions. We hope you find the answers helpful. To leave feedback or to ask questions, go to the contact page.

Can I still camp even if I don’t have a reservation?
Yes. Just pull onto any non-reserved site and the Camp Host or Lake Patrol will be by to collect the fee.
How do I make reservations for the parks?
Reservations may be made no more than 60 days in advance, online at the District’s website, by telephone, or in person at the District office during business hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Calls left on voice mail for reservations will not be returned. Please use the online system during non-business hours.  Reservation check in and check out time is 4:00 p.m.
Can I ride a golf cart in the parks?
Yes, golf carts are allowed in District parks, except for Mary King Park, as long as they are operated by a person with a valid driver license and in an safe and prudent manner.
Can I use a generator in the parks for my camper?
Yes, but they have to be turned off at 10:00 p.m. if the noise is disturbing other campers.
Is there a park curfew and how is this enforced?
There is a 10:00 p.m. curfew and it is enforced by the Lake Patrol officers.
Is there a designated picnic area with picnic tables and grills in Walleye Park?
Picnicking is allowed in all areas, except RV sites, shelters and pavilion. These sites must be paid for, even if just for picnicking. Picnic areas are available.
Can I parasail on the lake?
No, parasailing is prohibited on Lake Cypress Springs.
What can be done about the hydrilla on the lake?
The District has compiled an informational handout that has been mailed to all of the Lessees. A copy of the document can be found on our Downloads page.
Can people fish from a boat in front of my dock or boathouse?
Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPW) officials have clarified the public’s right to fish from a boat on all public waters, providing no game law regulations are being violated. According to TPW legal counsel Boyd Kennedy, “Waters that are open to the public for fishing include coastal waters, major lakes and rivers, and many smaller streams and lakes. If a lake is public water, then all of the lake is public water, including the water around marinas and boat docks. The right to build or operate a marina, dock or other structure on or over public water does not carry with it the right to restrict boating or fishing from a boat.” By law, the basic authority for the enactment of fishing and boating regulations is reserved to the state. Some local government authorities may impose boating regulations for safety purposes, but TPW statistics show that fishing around marinas and boat docks is not a safety problem. “Harassment of a law-abiding fisherman is a crime punishable by fine and/or imprisonment”, Kennedy added.
Why does the Water District own the land and then lease me my lot?
The District owns land in fee simple in order to retain the ability to deal with potential high water from the impoundment of the reservoir. While some reservoirs have a flood easement, the District accomplishes the same thing through direct ownership. The District is then allowed by law to lease land as long as the leasing of the land does not interfere with the District’s statutory duties. Because the land belongs to the public and is in the care of the District, public land cannot legally be in private use without the public being fairly compensated. The lessee is given a 99-year lease on the land and pays a nominal lease fee every year. Fee simple ownership of land by the District is where direct authority to make rules derives from. Zoning type rules are what maintains the property values and quality of life on District property. The District’s ability to maintain a Lake Patrol also derives from the property ownership. The District has no authority to do either of these functions off District property.
How can I obtain the 99-year extension on my lease?
To obtain a 99-year extension on Leasehold lots, an Extended Lease Agreement must be signed, a bonus payment in the amount of $400.00 per acre must be paid, along with the current County Clerk’s recording fee. The annual lease fee will remain the same for the remainder of the first lease agreement; however, the annual lease fee for the second 99-year term will be $200.00 per acre. For more information, call the District office.
Why does the District charge me for my boathouse and pier?
The fee charged for your boathouse and pier allows you to place a private structure over public property. Public property cannot be used for private use without the public being fairly compensated.
What is the maximum size boat allowed on Lake Cypress Springs?
No boat or other watercraft exceeding 12 feet in width or 26 feet in length is allowed on the lake, with the exception of a “work barge” with a valid permit.
Where are you located?
Our office is located on the East side of the square in Mount Vernon at 112 N. Houston St.
Can I pay my water bill at your office?
No. Tap water around the lake area is handled through Cypress Springs Special Utility District. Their phone number is 903-588-2081.
Do you take credit cards?
No, we only take checks, cash or money orders.
Are you open during lunch?
Yes we are, our office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
I want to build a house. What do I need?
Permit forms and packets are available in our office or you can download them from the Downloads section of our website and print out a copy.